For many companies keeping a record of their employees travel related expenses incurred on business trips is necessary for tax purposes, and to help them stay within their financial budget. A good form to use is one that includes appropriate spaces to enter expenses for transportation, lodging, and meals. You can get this form with the travel expense template from Microsoft.
The travel expense template available on this page for immediate download is free, and easy-to-use with several fields you can edit. It is compatible with Microsoft Excel 2007 or later.
How to Use the Travel Expense Template
- Download the free travel expense template to your computer, and save to any folder you want or to your desktop.
- Find the file and open it. There are a number of areas that can be edited with the information an employer needs.
- On the first shaded spaces the information that can be entered is an employee name and their ID. In this area the details for trips date can be entered as well as the purpose of the trip.
- The second shaded area – expenses at a glance – has spaces for entering total trip days including transportation, lodging and meal expenses.
- The third area has columns for entering the total for each related expense by date. The section for meals has space for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks.
Tips for Using the Travel Expense Template
- If you are self-employed and travel to meet with clients, the space in the travel expense template with employee on it can be edited to reflect only your name or anything else you prefer.
- Since the template is easy to customize, if another column is needed it can easily be entered.
- Other fields that can be entered are; gas, tools, equipment, supplies, and any other costs for items that were necessary to purchase to use on the trip.
Using the travel expense template that is available on this page free to download is a great way to keep on top of costs that are travel related. It can be used by companies for employee related travel expenses or used by self-employed individuals who travel to meet their clients for business reasons.
Download: Travel Expense Template